Q. What suggestions do you have for cleaning wool carpet in an airplane?
A. I have found that agitation of the wool fiber is one of the most overlooked aspects of cleaning soiled wool. Since the temperature and pH must be reduced, the psi, gpm and wand movement alone are usually insufficient. If the pre-spray and pre-agitation do not remove close to 90% of the visible soil, all the wand passes in the world will not remove the remaining 10% of the visible soil.
Here is another challenge. On some planes there are light strips along the middle aisle. So don’t forget electrical wiring underfoot. Gear all your steps to reduce moisture. My suggestion is to use a small power head unit that will attach to your extractor and still fit under a typical seat. The brush agitation is no more harmful than the average upright vacuum cleaner.
The best procedure is to pre-spray, agitate without the vac or rinse on, then lightly pre-spray a second time and extract with the brush, vacuum and rinse all on. Use a small wand, if necessary, for soiled edges and a second drying pass. Set a carpet dryer to accelerate air flow.
How to become a carpet care expert Learn More...